ASI Releases 5th Annual Membership Benchmark Survey Report
Alexandria, VA (August 6, 2019) — Advanced Solutions International (ASI), a leading global provider of software and services for associations and non-profits, released its 2019 Global Benchmark Report on Membership Performance today. Conducted in the latter part of 2018, the survey explores the foremost challenges, goals and opportunities associations are currently facing to attract, engage and retain their membership bases.
A total of 350 association and membership executives across North America, Asia-Pacific and Europe/Middle East/India/Africa (EMEIA) participated in the fifth annual survey that consisted of 20 questions spanning five primary interest areas: Retention & Growth, Engagement, Marketing, Technology, and Goals & Challenges.
Key findings included:
- 32% of respondents reported an excellent (90+%) retention rate; 68% found retention was unchanged (38%) or had declined (30%).
- 42% of respondents that offer recurring membership have a 90+% retention rate. Recurring membership is the #1 rated tactic for member renewals yet 55% of associations do not offer this.
- Just 34% reported an increase in member engagement in 2019, down from 38% in 2018.
- 1 in 3 say 50% or more of marketing communications are viewed by members on a mobile device, but only 19% have a year-round mobile membership app.
- Increasing member engagement is the #1 operational goal while the inability to measure engagement is the #1 operational challenge.
To mark the fifth anniversary of the survey, the report looked back to see how attitudes and results have changed:
- In 2015, 54% of all respondents had a greater than 75% retention rate; now more than 70% have achieved this level of retention.
- 36% saw increases in engagement rates in 2015, while only 34% see increases today.
- Just 31% of respondents in 2015 had a single system to manage their data and website; now 42% have eliminated their data silos.
"ASI's annual survey report is a bellwether for association executives to learn more about important trends and possible risks they may face in the future," said Edward Wendling, Global Vice President of Marketing. "It's become an important tool for the community and ASI is proud to release the fifth anniversary issue this year."
Advanced Solutions International (ASI) is a leading global provider of cloud-based software to associations and non-profits. We're the company behind iMIS Cloud, the Engagement Management System (EMS)™ that empowers you to engage your members anytime, anywhere, from any device. Since 1991 we've helped thousands of clients grow revenue, reduce expenses, and improve performance by providing best practices, pragmatic client advice, and proven solutions.